Career Enjoyment: hr consultant
HR consulting is a particular form of consultancy that focuses on human resources - including areas such as learning and development, performance management, employment terms and conditions, etc. This career tends to have salaries in the range £25-100k (based on research in the UK). Typically, therefore, it has a very high earnings potential.
Views from people doing the job
The common feedback from people in this career was:
- When people in the job described what they liked about it, the common themes that emerged were: guiding others, variety, building relationships, achieving targets.
- When people described what they disliked about the job, the themes were: doing admin, pressure, politics, self-employment admin.
When we asked people in each career to rate their job for enjoyment, on a scale between 1 (low) and 6 (high), the average rating for all jobs was just over 3.5. The average score for this career - hr consultant - was 4.3, making it more enjoyable than the average job. This is only one part of what makes a job enjoyable. You can find out how well your unique personality fits the job by completing our personality questionnaire.
The table shows the balance of preferences that are required in this career, using the language of the Myers Briggs model of personality. This career therefore involves:
|The demands of the job|
- An equal balance between Extraversion and Introversion.
- Slightly more Sensing than iNtuition.
- Slightly more Thinking than Feeling.
- An equal balance between Judgment and Perception.
The wheel provides a more detailed view of the types of behaviours required in this career. Each segment represents a behavioural style. Lighter segments indicate that you need to use that style more in the job. On a PC, you can hover the mouse over a segment for a brief description.Lighter/redder segments show the types of behaviour you will need to use more of, i.e.: solving practical problems; following defined procedures; designing new processes; solving immediate problems or crises.
The job does not involve as much: starting new initiatives.
Comparison with your personality
You can find out how well your personality matches this and all the other careers by completing the MMDI personality questionnaire.