Career Enjoyment: mechanic
A mechanic repairs and maintains machinery of various types, such as cars, aircraft, factory equipment, etc. Wh ereas engineers design and build equipment, mechanics take responsibility for its post-construction maintenance. This career tends to have salaries in the range £15-40k (based on research in the UK). Typically, therefore, it has an earnings potential that is near to the national average.
Views from people doing the job
The common feedback from people in this career was:
- When people in the job described what they liked about it, the common themes that emerged were: each job is a little bit different, challenge, research & development.
- When people described what they disliked about the job, the themes were: low income, dirty working conditions, slow pace, physical work, no autonomy.
When we asked people in each career to rate their job for enjoyment, on a scale between 1 (low) and 6 (high), the average rating for all jobs was just over 3.5. The average score for this career - mechanic - was 3.1, making it slightly less enjoyable than the average job. This is only one part of what makes a job enjoyable. You can find out how well your unique personality fits the job by completing our personality questionnaire.
The table shows the balance of preferences that are required in this career, using the language of the Myers Briggs model of personality. This career therefore involves:
|The demands of the job|
- Slightly more Introversion than Extraversion.
- Slightly more Sensing than iNtuition.
- Slightly more Thinking than Feeling.
- Slightly more Perception than Judgment.
The wheel provides a more detailed view of the types of behaviours required in this career. Each segment represents a behavioural style. Lighter segments indicate that you need to use that style more in the job. On a PC, you can hover the mouse over a segment for a brief description.Lighter/redder segments show the types of behaviour you will need to use more of, i.e.: solving practical problems; solving immediate problems or crises.
The job does not involve as much: developing other people.
Comparison with your personality
You can find out how well your personality matches this and all the other careers by completing the MMDI personality questionnaire.