Career Enjoyment: product manager
A product manager is responsible for the ongoing design, development, and testing of the products that a company sells. The role varies in different companies and can overlap or have a close relationship with marketing, which identifies future product needs. This career tends to have salaries in the range £35-80k (based on research in the UK). Typically, therefore, it has a very high earnings potential.
Views from people doing the job
The common feedback from people in this career was:
- When people in the job described what they liked about it, the common themes that emerged were: individual responsibility, chance to try new ideas.
- When people described what they disliked about the job, the themes were: sales targets, work conflict, working alone, lack of opportunity for creativity.
When we asked people in each career to rate their job for enjoyment, on a scale between 1 (low) and 6 (high), the average rating for all jobs was just over 3.5. The average score for this career - product manager - was 3.4, making it slightly less enjoyable than the average job. This is only one part of what makes a job enjoyable. You can find out how well your unique personality fits the job by completing our personality questionnaire.
The table shows the balance of preferences that are required in this career, using the language of the Myers Briggs model of personality. This career therefore involves:
|The demands of the job|
- Slightly more Introversion than Extraversion.
- Slightly more iNtuition than Sensing.
- Slightly more Thinking than Feeling.
- Slightly more Perception than Judgment.
The wheel provides a more detailed view of the types of behaviours required in this career. Each segment represents a behavioural style. Lighter segments indicate that you need to use that style more in the job. On a PC, you can hover the mouse over a segment for a brief description.Lighter segments are needed more, but as there are none this suggests the job requires you to be flexible and use a variety of styles.
Comparison with your personality
You can find out how well your personality matches this and all the other careers by completing the MMDI personality questionnaire.