Career Enjoyment: sales associate
This career tends to have salaries in the range £25-50k (based on research in the UK). Typically, therefore, it has a higher than average earnings potential.
Views from people doing the job
The common feedback from people in this career was:
- When people in the job described what they liked about it, the common themes that emerged were: customer service, interaction with others, helping customers find what they are looking for.
- When people described what they disliked about the job, the themes were: standing all the time, being fake, having to make targets, lack of challenge, lack of development opportunity, emphasis on efficiency, monotony/boring.
When we asked people in each career to rate their job for enjoyment, on a scale between 1 (low) and 6 (high), the average rating for all jobs was just over 3.5. The average score for this career - sales associate - was 2.9, making it less enjoyable than the average job. This is only one part of what makes a job enjoyable. You can find out how well your unique personality fits the job by completing our personality questionnaire.
The table shows the balance of preferences that are required in this career, using the language of the Myers Briggs model of personality. This career therefore involves:
|The demands of the job|
- Slightly more Introversion than Extraversion.
- Slightly more Sensing than iNtuition.
- Slightly more Feeling than Thinking.
- An equal balance between Judgment and Perception.
The wheel provides a more detailed view of the types of behaviours required in this career. Each segment represents a behavioural style. Lighter segments indicate that you need to use that style more in the job. On a PC, you can hover the mouse over a segment for a brief description.Lighter/redder segments show the types of behaviour you will need to use more of, i.e.: supporting particular values; solving immediate problems or crises; doing things that have an immediate impact on people.
The job does not involve as much: challenging the status quo; starting new initiatives.
Comparison with your personality
You can find out how well your personality matches this and all the other careers by completing the MMDI personality questionnaire.